This has been probably my favourite part so far: finding and re-purposing wood, junk and waste. I was lucky to have the inorganics do the rounds just after I'd finished my first draft design (on the first post) and picked up a LOT of insulation. Mostly used pink batts but a lot of polystyrene sheets also. I bought 6 1060x440 aluminium framed windows for $26 and two 1800x1200 windows for $11 - I'm only using one but I'm keeping the other in case one breaks. The boat building place down the road chucked out a heap of 260x330 wooden boxes, which I'm using to build my stairs. I picked up a free desk top and kitchen bench top, and a sink (about 300x400x180) for only $30 new.
I found the door search online was harder than I thought - exterior doors were too heavy and interior too light. I ended up buying a thin and narrow backdoor for $1 - complete with three frosted windows and a cat flap and working lock and key!!
I scored $80 worth of ceiling battens which will do the majority of the internal framing, and $60 got me a bunch of 12mm ply sheets (270x2440) which does the floor plus loft area!
For exterior cladding I wanted something like shadowclad but it was too far out of my budget - and I wanted to use as much reclaimed materials as possible. I did manage to score a 9mm treated ply sheet for $27 though. I ended up buying a few bulk lots of roofing to use for both roof and walls, both trimline and corrugated iron. Cost me about $240 for all of it and I can get a good price ($10 plm NEW) up the road if I need any more.
I got two rolls of self supporting building paper with one of the roof lots, and the builder I'm currently working with has given me foil building paper and angle brackets. Someone dumped wood at the reserve near my house so I reclaimed some 6x2 H4 lengths and built my subfloor for free. Well okay it cost me $4 in extra bolts. This weekend dad helped me build the subfloor, pictured, and we added some extra battens for ply support.
I've used 8x106 coach screws pretty much everywhere, and a couple of 8x75 bolts to join it to the metal uprights left at 150mm from the side rails, which meant I didn't weaken the integrity of the metal chassis. I got pretty excited after finishing the
subfloor and had all the equipment to do the floor so I managed to talk dad into a full weekend of work.. and now the floor has been wrapped and fitted with ply. Some people had told me to glue the ply down but I'm using 38mm square drive screws every 400mm, so it seemed overkill.
Foil wrapped and ready for ply.

No comments:
Post a Comment