Sunday, 14 December 2014

Finished framing and building paper cladding

Putting up the purlins with dad
The tarpaulin roof survived the past week of crap weather, but only due to the fact I had to poke the water pockets with a stick. The tiny amount of moisture that got in was dry the same day so no worries there. The forecast was for worse though so I made it a mission to get the roof ready for cladding. It rained very very hard the whole weekend, but thankfully I had it parked in the factory - for the last time, now the roof is watertight!!

fence pails and random purlins

The roof has 2x2, 3x2, and mainly 4x2 purlins. Half is exterior grade but hey wood is wood to me, as long as I’m recycling as much as possible. I strengthened with strap bracing, not very strongly, but it’s mainly for the paper anyway. I used fence pails for screw points for 3mm MDF - the kitchen place next door gets a couple of sheets per delivery so dad and I worked out a cheap and lightweight way to get lots of nogging for it - otherwise it warps like a piece of cardboard. So the $10 spent on fencing materials saves me $50 worth of ply done.


The loft bed was pretty easy to install since it was resting on top of the back plate, with 790mm on each side. It also meant we had a platform to use when installing the purlins.

It has 6mm ply as a temp flooring, free from the side of the road.

the loft bed platform - the square is a fixing for an opening window

I also nailed off a whole heap of boxes - 23 so far and probably another for good luck - which will become the stairs to the loft. I got these all free, as industrial waste. Pretty awesome storage, and the area directly underneath the loft bed will become a bookshelf. I bought some little woven baskets to put my clothes in, and whatever else I use them for, as all my clothes take up a whopping five boxes. At least everything will have a place!

I just have to pick up some ply for the stairs and something to use for the bookshelf, which my dad probably has hoarded somewhere.  So now I'm just waiting to have all the ply in one place (eg inside the tiny home) and then I can get cracking with my pink batts. I got all the batts for free, minus $5 worth of offcuts (which ultimately I didn't need) and half a bag of pink batts squares which came with my long run roofing with the building paper. I had JUST enough building paper.. if it were anyone else they probably would have bought more, but I managed to scrounge enough to fix it up - hopefully. It isn't very professional looking!! But so long as it keeps the water out it's doing its job. Better get some rest now, it's been a very long weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment